Monday, August 13, 2012

TV snob

Television show snobbery does exist; and I knowingly partake in this particular sort of bias.

My criteria for a great TV show differs from those who have a say in the industry's nominations.  I don't follow the norm, or watch a certain program because it's the "must-see" program.  The shows I spend time watching on a regular basis are ones that move me in some way.  At times, it's the characters who are so interesting, complex and identifiable that I can't help but be invested in following their story.  Other times, the ingenious writing and story idea inspires me on a creative level; creating an underlying level of respect for those involved.

I tend to disagree with award show nominations when it comes to the television and film industry.  The ones the critics praise may be of extraordinary talent but most of them I've never watched nor cared to.  I'll admit there's even a little bit of stubbornness too; if you tell me something's great and I don't see what all the fuss is about I'm less likely to tune in!

Here's just a few of the shows (both currently on the air and ones that have left an indelible impression) that didn't receive award recognition but have not only my appreciation and praise but that of so many others...

  • "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - Well written, brilliantly acted and full of depth and creative inspiration.  The title may leave you saying, "Um, no thank you" but you'd be missing out on incredible television programming.  This show had everything I believed a great program should...strong, complex characters, witty dialogue, innovative storytelling and consistent excellence in their medium.
  • "NCIS" - Still putting out new episodes, this unconventional drama series doesn't fit into the mold of the standard cop, lawyer, hospital themed programs. The interaction of the characters, witty dialogue and interspersing of comedy elements make this one show I look forward to watching each week.  The most disappointing part of "NCIS" not receiving it's due critical praise is the exceptional talent of it's actors. Performers who balance both drama and comedy equally well; without coming off cliche or one dimensional.
  • "Smash" - The first time I saw a preview for this show I knew without question I'd be tuning in! It stars Katherine McPhee (who I voted for in "American Idol"), Megan Hilty (who I read great things about in the Broadway world), Christina Borle (who I saw in "Spamalot" and "Legally Blonde; the musical") and the brilliant Debra Messing (the "Sound of Music" singalong episode from "Will & Grace" is still my all-time favorite). A musical theatre fan at heart of course I'd be watching with anticipation.  And I wasn't disappointed.  The episodes kept getting better and better and I watched thinking "I can absolutely see Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty getting award nominations for their work." Alas, while the Primetime Emmys recognized the show's achievement in choreography, music and guest acting neither Kat's nor Megan's name was among the nominees.
There are plenty of other television programs that I enjoy watching for the sheer entertainment factor.  I support shows that take me throw a gamut of emotions; often times during the same episode.  I root for the characters, look forward to the next episode and in a world full of watching shows whenever you feel like I relish the anticipation of waiting to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment