Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Social Writer

I’ve never really been what you’d call a social butterfly. High school and college weren’t about making friends, though that was a bonus. Instead, I relished the opportunity to learn. I looked forward to, or dreaded, certain courses depending on the teaching style, level of personal interest and motivation. Growing up a relatively shy individual being part of a large group created apprehension within me. If I was out of my comfort zone then forget it! I wasn’t going to the party, dance or any other social event where I didn’t feel comfortable. Eventually, my viewpoint shifted when I came to the realization that how people perceived me took up too much of my valuable mind space.

Thank goodness for creative writing! This tool gave me confidence when I lacked meaning, direction when I lacked motivation and value when the world seemed too big. The words I took the time to select in my writing mattered to me. I took great care in what I put on paper because it was the most valuable outlet I had available to communicate what I’d left unspoken.

Three years ago I took a chance and joined a local writers group. Ever since, not only has my writing strengthened but so has my confidence. What I have to say matters; whether it matters solely to me or anyone else is irrelevant. I love what I do. I’m making an imprint in this world while continuing the tradition of communication.

When I attended the Philadelphia Writers’ Conference on June 3rd-5th of this year I was slightly hesitant at the knowledge that I did not know anyone else there. I kept to myself when I first arrived, put pencil to paper and started writing. That is until I sat down for the opening presentation, closed my notebook and made eye contact with those around me. I became aware of how many other writers there are in the Philadelphia area. And while that realization could’ve amplified my worry of getting published I found comfort in so many others who shared my affinity for the written word.

I met some wonderful individuals during this conference, attended fantastic workshops and was impressed by those who chose to facilitate/instruct the individual courses. This experience is one that will stay with me for many years to come. It reinvigorated my desire to pursue writing on a professional level and that helps make this butterfly soar.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely post, Kell. We didn't meet but I was there, teaching the memoir workshop. Wasn't it a wonderful weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too tend to be shy, especially in unfamiliar situations. I too have a wonderful experience at the PWC. Such great people there! Meeting other authors is one of the highlights of the conference for me, and I sorry we didn't meet. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a nice experience at the PWC, Kell. I had a similar experience the first time I attended in 2005, and while nobody would accuse me of being bashful, it was the writers I met that really put a fire under me.

    I'm excited to be attending my 4th conference this coming weekend, and look forward to meeting a whole crop of new writers while I reconnect with old friends.

    ReplyDelete